This is a recipe of the all time favorite buko pie. Since this is a very popular pie, many business sprouted selling buko pies specially in Laguna and became a favorite pasalubong treat. So you don’t have to travel out of town just have a buko pie in case you are craving for one. You can make your own at home with just a simple ingredients like buko meat, flour, cornstarch, milk and cheese.
How to Make Buko Pie
For the crust:
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup corn oil
- 1 tablespoon water
For the filling:
- 3 1/3 cup buko young coconut
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cheese grated
How to make buko pie
- To prepare the crust, combine flour and salt. Blend in oil thoroughly using a fork.
- Sprinkle with water. Continue "cutting" with a fork until flour mixture forms tiny lumps.
- Form flour mixture into a ball. Divide dough into 2 equal portions.
- Roll out to make 2 crusts. Cover bottom of pie pan with one crust. Cut excess.
- Prick pastry all over with fork. Bake in preheated oven at 450°F for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown
How to make the filling:
- Combine all ingredients except cheese and cook over low heat.
- Continue stirring until thick. Pour mixture into pastry-lined pie pan.
- Top filling with the second crust. Seal ends all around with a fork.
- Bake at 400 °F until crust turns golden brown. Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Bake for additional 5 minutes. Serves 8.