A delicious sweet and sour eggplant salad with red wine vinegar as a special ingredient. This salad requires some cooking since you cannot eat raw eggplant. But cooking this dish is very simple and requires just a few minutes.
Sweet and Sour Eggplant (Aubergines) Salad
- 450 grams eggplant
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 400 grams can whole tomato chopped
- 50 g sliced green olives
- 25 g brown sugar
- 100 ml red wine vinegar
- 25 g capers
- 1 Tbsp. parsley chopped
How to make Sweet and Sour Eggplant Salad:
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in large frying pan. Add the onions, garlic and celery', cook for approximately 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Slice the aubergines into thick rounds and then cut each round into 4 pieces.
- Add the aubergines or eggplant to the frying pan with the remaining olive oil and fry for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes, olives and sugar to the pan, stirring until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the red wine vinegar, reduce the heat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- While the pan is still on the heat, add the capers and season to taste.
- Remove from heat and allow cooling before serving, sprinkling with parsley to serve.
- This Salad is best served cold the day after it is made, which allows all the flavors to mingle and be fully absorbed.