One way of preserving food is by freezing but freezing vegetables will only make them mushy when thawed. So there is a process that should be done before freezing it. And that is, you have to blanch it first before making frozen green beans.
How to make Frozen Green Beans
- Select young tender string less beans that snap when broken.
- Cut beans into 1 or 2-inch pieces.
- Put beans in a blanching basket, lower basket in boiling water and cover. Heat for 3 minutes.
- Plunge basket of blanched beans in cold water. Cool for 3 minutes.
- Remove the beans from water and drain.
- Pack the beans into polyethylene bags.
- Leave 1/2-inch headspaces and seal by twisting and folding back top of bag and tying with a string.
- Freeze at once. Store at 0 °F or below.