Making dried ginger is the simplest way of preserving it. You only need to dehydrate it by sun drying it and adding sodium metabifulfite. Great for recipes needing dried ginger or can be substituted to fresh ginger.
How to make Dried Ginger:
- Wash fresh whole ginger. Peel by scraping off the skin with a knife. Slice 1/8-inch thick.
- Dip in 2 percent sodium metabisulfite solution (1 to 1 & 1/2 tablespoons to a liter of water) for from 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove liquid, spread on wire trays lined with nylon mesh or sinamay.
- Dry under the sun or in any suitable drier until slices are crisp.
- Pack in plastic bags or any insect-proof container.
COOKING AND HEALTH TIPS: Upset Stomach? Eat bananas and ginger. Bananas help settle an upset stomach. Ginger helps cure morning sickness and nausea.