These rectangular shaped cookies are shaped into a wash board and mixed with desiccated coconut. You can make these cookies in any occasions and you can also store them in a cookie jar for later consumption.
Coconut Washboard Cookies
- 1/2 cup 112 grams butter, softened
- 1 cup 200 grams brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 large whole egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 3/4 teaspoon double acting baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup desiccated coconut packed
How to make Coconut Washboard Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 375 °F. In a bowl, cream butter with sugar.
- Beat in vanilla , coconut extract, the whole egg and egg yolk.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir flour mixture into butter mixture. Stir in coconut. Chill and cover for 20 minutes or until firm.
- With floured hands, shape dough into 2 and 1/2 inch logs. Put logs 3 inches apart on buttered baking sheets.
- With a fork dipped in flour, flatten logs to 4 x 1 and 1/2 inch rectangles (marks from lines of fork should be lengthwise ).
- Bake 10 - 12 minutes or until edges are golden. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely. Makes about 20 cookies.