Macapuno or sometimes called coconut sport is a mutant coconut. It has a very thick soft flesh and instead of coconut water, a thick gelatin-like substance in the center consist the macapuno. The taste is also very different from the regular coconut and you have to add sweetener to appreciate the flavor. So making a macapuno preserve is essential not only to preserve the fruit from spoiling, but to make it sweet and good to eat.
- Macapuno or mutant coconut
- 2 parts sugar and 1 part water
- (for every 2 cups sugar use 1 cup water)
- Cut open the coconut and discard the oily portion.
- Scrape the meat and blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Drain. Cook in enough syrup of two parts sugar and one part water.
- Cook the macapuno until it gets transparent.
- Pour while hot in 12-ounces preserving jars.
- Half-seal and sterilize jars for 25 minutes in boiling water.
- Seal completely.