Vegetarian Chop Suey
Pinoys love chop suey because of it’s sea food and meat but this is a meatless chop suey recipe for vegetarians or those who want to try a meatless chop suey. Instead of using meat, this recipe substitutes it with vegemeat or gluten.
How to Cook Vegetarian Chop Suey
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup carrots sliced thinly
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup gluten or vegemeat cut in pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup toasted cashew or peanuts
- 2 cups hot water
- 6 cups Chinese fried noodles
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- Soy sauce to taste
- Salt to taste
How to cook vegetarian Chop Suey:
- Saute onion, celery. mushrooms and gluten in oil.
- Add next 6 ingredients and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch with 1/2 cup water; add soy sauce and stir into hot mixture to thicken; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve over Chinese fried noodles. Garnish with cashew and parsley.
- Variation: You may substitute 1/2 cup carrots or 1/2 cup cauliflower for other vegetables.
- Yield: 6 servings.