Ampalaya (bitter melon) with Eggs
This is a simple vegetable recipe without meat or fish. This is a sauteed bitter melon in onion, tomatoes and garlic then cooked with beaten eggs. Bitter melon is very good for your health specially to those who are suffering from diabetes. This vegetable also cleanse the blood so this is a good preventive medicine.
How to Cook Ampalaya (bitter melon) with Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups ampalaya sliced thin, crosswise
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1/2 cup tomatoes sliced
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/4 cup onion minced
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt to taste
How to cook Ampalaya (bitter melon) with Eggs:
- Saute garlic and onion in 2 tablespoons of shortening or oil.
- Add tomatoes and water, cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add sliced ampalaya, cover and cook for 3 more minutes. Season with salt.
- Add the beaten eggs spreading all over the vegetables.
- Cook over slow heat until the eggs are slightly firm.
- Add an extra 2 tablespoons of oil if necessary to keep the eggs from sticking.
- Avoid stirring the vegetables as it squeezes more of the bitter flavor of the vegetables and makes the dish unpalatable. Yield: 4 servings.