1 lb. of split peas
1 lb. of potatoes, peeled, washed, and cut into pieces
1 Spanish onion
½ head of celery or a whole small one
1 oz. of butter
pepper and salt to taste
How to cook Pea Soup
- Pick and wash the peas, and set them to boil in 2 quarts of water.
- Add the potatoes and the other vegetables, previously prepared and cut into small pieces, the butter and seasoning.
- When all the ingredients are soft, rub them through a sieve and return them to the saucepan.
- If the soup is too thick, add more water.
- Boil it up, and serve with fresh chopped mint, or fried dice of Allinson wholemeal bread.
- Allow 3 to 4 hours for the soup.