Sweet Pickled Salad
A fresh salad made from alugbati leaves, red bell pepper, sitaw and vinegar syrup as pickling solution. Actually this can be considered pickled vegetables but it is also a salad. One good thing about this salad is you can store it in the refrigerator and eat it anytime. This can also be served as a side dish for fried fish or meat.
How to Make Sweet Pickled Salad
- 1 bunch sitaw cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced red onions
- 1 cup seeded and sliced red bell pepper
- 1 bunch alugbati leaves
Vinegar Syrup ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- In an 8" x 8" heat-proof glass, layer the vegetables starting with sitaw at the bottom and ending with alugbati leaves on top.
To make the vinegar syrup and salad:
- Combine water, sugar and vinegar in a saucepan and boil over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Add salt and pepper. Turn up the heat and cook syrup to a running boil.
- Remove from heat and immediately pour over the vegetables. Cover for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and cool to room temperature.
- Transfer pickled vegetables to a clean glass container and store in the refrigerator.