This recipe is composed of cooked banana blossoms tossed with fried tofu (tokwa) with vinegar, spices and milk. Cooking fresh banana blossom is a little bit tricky because of the sticky sap which you have to remove first so it won’t end up in the dish. A good method is to soak it first in brine for a few hours before cooking.
How to Cook Banana Blossoms Salad with Tokwa
- 1 pc large puso ng saging na saba or banana blossom saba variety
- 4 pcs tokwa of tofu fried and cubed
- 1 tbsp ginger chopped
- 1 pc medium white onion peeled and sliced
- 4 pcs tomatoes diced
- 1 pc sili espada chopped (optional)
- 2 pcs green onions chopped
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- salt to taste
How to cook Banana Blossoms Salad with Tokwa
- In boiling water, cook puso ng saging for about 15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain, rinse in tap water and squeeze out the liquid. Slice at least 1/8 inch thick.
- Combine cooked puso ng saging with the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well. Serve chilled or at room temperature.