This dessert is a turon saba with a twist, it is dipped in yema, a mixture of condensed milk, butter, egg yolks and rum then drizzled with melted chocolate and sprinkled with chopped toasted cashew nuts and garnished with cherries. But you can omit the toppings since it is optional. You can also substitute the toppings with other kinds of nuts or canned fruit depending on your preference.
Turones Filipino Con Yema
For the Yema:
- 1 can condensed milk
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 4 pcs egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp. rum
For the Turones:
- 9 pcs banana saba variety
- 33 pcs lumpia wrapper
- 17 pcs langka strips
- 3 1/3 cups vegetable oil
For the Topping:
- roasted cashew nuts
- cherries for garnishing
- chocolate candy
How to make Turones Filipino Con Yema:
- Make yema. Combine egg yolks and condensed milk in double boiler.
- Cook until thick, mixing continuously. Remove from heat. Add butter and rum. Cool.
- Make turones. Peel bananas and cut into four lengthwise pieces. Pat-dry.
- Wrap 1 piece banana and 2 to 3 strips langka in lumpia wrapper. Seal.
- Fry in oil over medium heat until golden brown. Drain. Dip turones in yema.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over turones with fork, then sprinkle with chopped toasted nuts. Garnish with cherries.