2 cups raw rice, roasted and soaked in
1 & 1/2 cups water then ground
1 cup rich coconut milk or coconut cream
4 cups coconut milk, diluted
1 cup finely chopped peanuts
1/2 cups brown sugar
banana leaves cut into 10″ wide pieces
2 tbsp salt
1/4 kg gluten, boiled and diced
2 tbsp atchuete seeds, soaked in
1/4 cup water
2 pcs eggs, hard-boiled and shelled
How to make Tamales a la Vegetarian
- In saucepan, combine rice, coconut milk, sugar, salt and achuete water.
- Simmer until mixture is smoother and thick, stirring constantly.
- Then pour in rich coconut milk, stirring well until smooth in consistency.
- Add peanuts. Remove from heat. Put banana leaves together.
- Drop 1 tablespoonful of mixture on center of banana leaf.
- Top mixture with a slice of gluten and a slice of egg.
- Wrap mixture with banana leaf and tie around.
- Do the same with remaining mixture. In a big cooking pan, boil water and drop tamales.
- Cover and let boil 30 minutes. Transfer to tray and let cool before serving.