This is a simple carrot cake made with grated carrots, nuts and spices. This cake is good and healthy made specially for those who loves carrots or those who hates vegetables. Since this is so delicious, a picky eater will not notice that is contains carrots. Great for kids and vegetarians too.
How to Make Carrot Cake
- 1 cup 225 grams butter
- 1/2 cup salad oil
- 2 1/2 cups 500grams sugar
- 4 eggs separated
- 5 Tbsp. hot water
- 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. all spice
- 2 cups grated raw carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts almonds or cashew nuts
Soaking Syrup ingredients:
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup 150grams sugar
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1/4 cup butter
How to make Carrot Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Cream butter with oil and 2 cups of the sugar until blended. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in hot water. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice, beat into egg mixture. Stir carrots and walnuts.
- Beat egg whites until frothy, then gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar in four additions, beating until stiff peaks form. fold into batter.
- Pour into a greased and lightly floured 9-inch tube pan. Bake 60 -70 minutes or until cake tester or toothpick inserted in center of the cake comes out clean.
- Before removing cake from pan, pour half of the soaking syrup on cake, distributing evenly. Let cake cool completely. Turn out on serving platter and brush remaining syrup on cake.
- Let strand in refrigerator one day before serving.
How to make soaking syrup:
- In a saucepan, combine water and sugar and simmer until sugar dissolves. Add rum and bring to a slow boil. Remove from fire, stir in butter until melted.