This atsara recipe contains grated papaya, carrots, onions, ginger, red bell pepper, raisins and pineapple tidbits. Actually it is pickled grated papaya using pickling solution of vinegar, water and sugar. Great for grilled fish or meat, that is, if you are not a vegetarian.
1 kilo green or unripe papaya, grated
1 Tbsp. salt
1 pc carrot, cut into flowerettes
1 Tbsp.ginger cut into strips
10 pcs onion tagalog, whole
1 pc red bell pepper strips
1 pc green bell pepper strips
1/2 cup pineapple tidbits
How to make Papaya Achara:
- Sprinkle salt over grated papaya.
- Let it stand for 2 – 3 hours then squeeze thoroughly in katcha cloth or cheesecloth.
- Mix with raisins and pineapple tidbits. Set aside.
- Boil sugar, vinegar, salt and water without stirring.
- Pour over vegetables. Transfer to a sterilized bottle.
- Allow 2 – 3 days before consuming.