Making coconut chips is a little tedious but the preparation is simple. There are only 2 basic ingredients needed, the slightly mature coconuts and sugar. No preservatives needed unless you want to store it for a long time. To remove the coconut meat from the shell, you need to remove the coconut water and heat the drained coconut until the shell cracks.
1 slightly mature coconut (husk removed, only shell remains)
How to make Coconut Chips:
- Pierce eyes of coconut and allow water to drain. Heat drained coconut in oven until shell cracks.
- Remove meat with paring knife. Wash white meat with water and slice very thinly.
- Mix thoroughly 2-part slices with 1 part sugar (by weight) over low fire in saucepan.
- Stir constantly. Continue heating until chips are evenly coated with sugar and dry in appearance.
- Toast sugarcoated chips in oven 90°C to 100°C until chips turn golden brown.
- Cool, then pack in moisture-proof polyethylene film bags. Store in tightly covered containers.