This is a procedure of making banana chips. You can use saba or plantain bananas for making banana chips and has to be unripe. For crispier chips, sprinkle salted water over banana chips (or potatoes) while frying. This makes them a lot crispier and fun to eat.
Dried Banana Chips Recipe
- matured bananas saba variety
- .05 percent sodium metabisulfite solution
- Fat or oil for frying
How to make Banana Chips:
- Use unripe but matured bananas (saba variety).
- Peel by hand and immerse immediately in .05 percent sodium metabisulfite solution for 15 minutes.
- Cut the sulfited peeled bananas crosswise, about 1/8 inch thick, using a stainless steel knife.
- Soak again the sliced bananas in the same concentration of metabisulfite solution for one hour to prevent browning.
- Remove slices from the soaking medium and boil them in water for 30 seconds.
- Spread blanched slices in sinamay covered wooden frames and dry in the sun or in an oven at 70 °C for from 3 to 4 hours until the slices are dry with a minimum moisture level of from 3 to 5 percent.
- Fry in thick fat and sprinkle with fine salt.
- Anti-oxidants may be added to prevent rancidity when chips are to be stored for some time.