Santol or cotton fruit is one of the fruits that will benefit from preserving it even though it is not easily over riped. It has a thick layer of pulp and only the soft outer part of the seed is edible. The pulp is not very appetizing to eat and sometimes contains sap. Preserving it in sugar syrup is not only for storage purposes but for good eating as well because it is already sweetened.
How to Make Santol Preserve
Santol Preserve Option #1
- ripe santol
- water for boiling
- two parts sugar and one part water
- or every 2 cups of sugar mix 1 cup of water
Santol Preserve Option #2
- Ripe santol
Santol Preserve Option #3
- Ripe santol
- 2 parts sugar to one part water
- water for soaking and boiling
How to make santol preserve (Option #1):
- Select sound, ripe santol. Wash and blanch in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Peel thinly and evenly. Soak peeled santol in cold water.
- Cut into halves and remove seeds. Soak in water for three days, changing the water everyday.
- Wash santol and blanch in boiling water for 10 minutes. Dip in cold water and drain.
- Boil in syrup made up of two parts sugar and one part water for 15 minutes. Let stand overnight.
- Boil the syrup again without the santol until thick enough.
- Add the santol and continue boiling. Pack in 12-ounces preserving jars and fill with syrup.
- Remove air bubbles. Half-seal and sterilize jars in boiling water for 20 minutes. Seal completely.
How to make santol preserve (Option #2):
- Blanch santol for 10 minutes and peel.
- Cut into halves and remove the seeds. Soak pulp in water for 2 or 3 days, changing the water everyday.
- Blanch for 5 minutes. Drain and chop finely. To every cup of pulp, add 3/4 cup of sugar.
- Cook to jam consistency. Place in 12 ounces dry bottles, remove air bubbles and half-seal.
- Sterilize bottles for 25 minutes in boiling water. Seal completely.
How to make santol preserve (Option #3):
- Select sound ripe santol fruits. Wash and blanch for 10 minutes.
- Peel thinly and evenly. Cut into halves and remove the seeds.
- Soak in water for 3 days, changing the water everyday.
- Prepare syrup (2 parts sugar to one part water). Boil santol in syrup for 15 minutes.
- Allow to soak. Repeat the procedure of boiling and soaking santol in syrup for one week.
- On the last day, boil the syrup until thick and add santol.
- Continue cooking over a slow fire, constantly stirring until the syrup dries up and coats the santol.
- Cool and wrap.
Leave a Reply