A Pinoy version of a delicious mocha cake with cream frosting. This mocha recipe is somehow a little tedious unlike other cakes that you just have to toss in all the ingredients to a mixing bowl. The extra work will produce a nice and a very delicious mocha cake.
Table of Contents
Are you a fan of coffee-flavored desserts? If so, this homemade Mocha Cake recipe is sure to become one of your favorites. Originating from the Philippines, this delightful cake offers a unique twist on the traditional mocha flavor. Though it may require a little more effort compared to some other cake recipes, the result is a moist and scrumptious dessert that’s worth every minute spent in the kitchen.
Setting the Stage for Mocha Cake Perfection
Preheat the Oven for Baking Excellence: The first step in creating a delectable Mocha Cake is to preheat your oven to 350°F. While the oven is heating up, prepare your baking pans. Grease and flour two 8-inch round baking pans with a height of 3 inches. This preparation ensures that your cake won’t stick to the pans and will come out easily once baked.
Mixing the Dry Ingredients: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, salt, 1 cup of sugar, baking powder, cocoa, and coffee. These ingredients will form the core of the mocha flavor in your cake. Create a well in the center of the dry mixture and then pour in the oil and hot water.
Whip it Up with an Electric Mixer: Attach the paddle to your electric mixer and beat the mixture at medium-low speed for three minutes. This step ensures that all the ingredients are well combined and will create a smooth, uniform batter.
Incorporating the Egg Yolks: Continuing at the same speed, add the egg yolks one at a time. Make sure to blend them thoroughly after each addition. This process will result in a rich and velvety cake batter that’s ready for the next step.
Whipping the Egg Whites: In a separate medium bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar using the wire beater attachment of your electric mixer. Set the mixer to medium-high speed until the mixture becomes frothy. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar in four portions, beating until the mixture reaches a stiff and glossy consistency.
The Art of Folding: Using a gentle hand, fold one-fourth of the beaten egg whites into the batter. Carefully blend the two mixtures, scraping the bottom of the bowl as you go. Repeat this process with about one cup of batter into the beaten egg white mixture. Continue this until all the batter is smoothly incorporated into the egg white mixture.
Pour and Bake to Perfection: Now that your batter is ready, pour it evenly into the prepared baking pans. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 to 35 minutes. To check if your cake is done, insert a toothpick or cake tester in the center. If it comes out clean, your cake is ready to be removed from the oven.
Finishing Touch: Mocha Icing to Elevate Your Cake
Creating the Mocha Icing: A Mocha Cake wouldn’t be complete without a luscious mocha icing. To make this dreamy icing, start by beating the butter with the paddle attachment of your electric mixer at low-medium speed until it turns fluffy, which usually takes around 3 minutes.
Intensifying the Coffee Flavor: Add instant coffee and cocoa to the mix and continue beating for an additional minute. This step enhances the mocha flavor, giving your icing a robust coffee kick.
Whip in the Cream: Gradually add the cream, one tablespoon at a time, and beat well after each addition. This will result in a light and fluffy texture for your icing.
Sweetening the Deal: To sweeten the deal, add powdered sugar in four separate additions, making sure to beat well after each addition. This process ensures that your icing is smooth and delightful.
Putting It All Together: Assembling Your Mocha Cake
Now that you’ve baked your Mocha Cake and whipped up a delightful Mocha Icing, it’s time to bring everything together.
Cool Your Cake: Once you’ve removed your cake from the oven, let it cool on a wire rack. This is a crucial step to ensure that your frosting doesn’t melt when applied.
Filling and Frosting: As your cake cools, prepare your coffee cream frosting. When the cakes have cooled, you can spread a generous layer of frosting on one of the cakes, then place the other cake on top to create a delicious layer cake.
Refrigerate for Maximum Flavor: After frosting your cake, it’s a good idea to refrigerate it for a little while. Chilling the cake helps set the frosting and enhances the overall flavor.
This Mocha Cake recipe is a delightful twist on a classic flavor. The extra steps involved in its preparation are well worth the effort when you savor the rich and satisfying results. Whether you’re a fan of coffee or just someone looking for a unique and delicious cake recipe, this homemade Mocha Cake is sure to hit the spot. So why wait? Get your ingredients ready, preheat the oven, and start baking this indulgent treat today!
How to Make Mocha Cake
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 tsp. fine iodized salt
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 2 Tbsp. instant coffee
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa
- 1/2 cup salad oil
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 8 egg yolks
- 8 egg whites
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
Mocha Frosting ingredients:
- 1 cup butter cut into big chunks
- 1 Tbsp. instant coffee
- 1 Tbsp. cocoa
- 1 cup whipping cream chilled
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
How to make Mocha Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Grease and flour 8 -inch round baking pans and 3 inch in height. In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, 1 cup of the sugar, baking powder, cocoa and coffee. Make a well in the center, and pour in oil and hot water.
- Using electric mixer with paddle attachment, beat mixture at medium-low speed for 3 minutes. Continue mixing at the same speed, add egg yolks one at a time, blending well after each addition, until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar with wire beater attachment of electric mixer at medium high speed until frothy. Add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar in four additions, beating until mixture is stiff and glossy.
- With rubber spatula, gently fold one fourth of beaten egg whites into batter, scrapping bottom of bowl, until lightly blended. Gently fold about 1 cup of batter into beaten egg white mixture. Repeat until all the batter has been blended into egg white mixture. Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 20 to 35 minutes, then remove from oven and cool on wire rack. Fill and frost with coffee cream frosting and refrigerate.
How to make Mocha Icing:
- In a small mixing bowl of the electric mixer, beat butter with paddle attachment at low-medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add instant coffee, cocoa and beat for 1 minute. Add cream, a tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition, until mixture is light and fluffy. add powdered sugar in four additions, beating well after each additions, until mixture is smooth.
Cooking Tips for Mocha Cake Recipe:
- Sift Dry Ingredients for a Smooth Texture: To achieve a smooth and lump-free batter, make sure to sift the dry ingredients such as the flour, cocoa, and coffee. Sifting not only aerates the dry ingredients but also helps break up any clumps, ensuring an even distribution in the batter. This step is essential for creating a velvety Mocha Cake with a consistent mocha flavor.
- Use High-Quality Coffee: The coffee flavor is at the heart of a Mocha Cake. For the best results, opt for high-quality coffee, whether it's instant coffee or freshly brewed espresso. The quality of the coffee you use will significantly impact the overall taste of the cake. A rich and flavorful coffee will result in a more satisfying mocha cake experience.
- Be Patient with Egg Whites: When whipping the egg whites for your Mocha Cake, patience is key. Whip the egg whites until they form stiff and glossy peaks. It's important not to rush this step, as properly whipped egg whites contribute to the cake's light and airy texture. Be gentle when folding the egg whites into the batter to maintain the cake's fluffiness. This step ensures your Mocha Cake will have the perfect balance of moisture and structure.