Egg pie is a sweet Filipino delicacy and it resembles the egg custard. This dessert is very well known and even many local bakeries sell this. But it was not as delicious as many years before maybe because of cost cutting. When I was a kid this is my favorite dessert and I can consume almost 3/4 of the whole pie! You can try this recipe and bake your own egg pie if you think that those sold in bakeries can’t satisfy your craving of a true egg pie with all the exact ingredients and not using extenders.
How to Make Egg Pie
- 2 deep-dish pie shells
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cans evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 sticks butter softened
How to make Egg Pie
- In large bowl, cream butter, eggs and sugar with mixer until well blended, add evaporated milk, 1 can at a time.
- Then add vanilla, mix and then add lemon extract and mix for 5 minutes.
- Pour half of the mixture into 1 pie shell and the remaining mixture in the second pie shell.
- Bake in oven at between 350 and 375 °F for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden brown.
How to brown top of egg pie:
- To make nice brown on the top of egg pie, cook longer for an hour or longer until brown.
Note: This pie is very rich, so eat at your own discretion