A meringue cake roll made from egg white and egg yolk on the center and a popular dessert in the Philippines. This dessert resembles a jelly roll where a flat rectangular cake is spread with a layer of jelly and rolled to make a jelly roll. A brazo de mercedes is made from beaten egg whites and cream of tartar then baked. The filling is made from eggs yolks and milk where it is spread on top of the baked egg whites and rolled.
How to Make Brazo de Mercedes (Egg Meringue Roll)
- 10 eggs separate yolks from whites
- 1 1/4 cup. sugar
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
Ingredients for the filling:
- 3/4 cup condensed milk
- 10 egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
How to make Brazo de Mercedes
- Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff.
- Add the sugar gradually and beat until smooth.
- Line a jelly roll baking pan with wax paper and grease.
- Pour the egg white mixture onto the pan.
- Bake at 350 °F oven until brown.
- Remove from the oven and invert on a greased wax paper.
- Peel off the lower wax paper lining. Set aside and cool.
- Make the filling by combining the egg yolks with milk.
- Place on the top of a double boiler and whisk until thick and smooth, stirring constantly. Continue whisking and add 1 tablespoon of butter at a time.
- Spread on baked egg white. Roll and chill. Good for 4 to 6 persons.