This whole wheat bread recipe is the same as white bread the difference is the addition of whole wheat flour instead of using only all-purpose flour. This bread is good for the health conscious or for people who are in a diet because it contains more fiber.
How to Make Whole Wheat Bread
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. oil
- 1 Tbsp. salt
How to make Whole Wheat Bread:
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Combine sugar, oil, salt and boiling water.
- Stir to dissolve sugar. Add 3/4 cup cold water.
- When mixture is lukewarm, stir in the dissolved yeast.
- Mix flours together reserving 1/2 cup white flour to add while kneading.
- Add flours gradually to form a stiff dough.
- Turn out on a lightly floured board and knead until dough is smooth and elastic(about 7 to 10 minutes).
- Place in oiled bowl, turn and cover.
- Let rise in a warm place (85 °F to 90 °F) until light and double in bulk for about two hours.
- Punch down. Divide into half; shape into loaves and place in greased loaf pans.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double (about 30 minutes).
- Bake at 350 °F for from 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and brush with oil.
- Let cool on rack. Yield: 2 loaves.