A unique sponge pie with a flavor of lime or kalamansi juice and kalamansi zest. This kind is pie is very easy to prepare and needs only a few simple ingredients that are readily available in your favorite supermarkets. Kalamansi is very abundant here in the Philippines but if you happen to live abroad, you can substitute it with lime juice or lemon juice.
How to Cook Kalamansi (Lime) Sponge Pie
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs separated and beaten
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup kalamansi juice
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- 4 tablespoons grated kalamansi rind
How to make Kalamansi (Lime) Sponge Pie:
- Mix flour, sugar, melted margarine, lemon rind and juice with milk and egg yolks.
- Beat whites of egg and salt together. Fold into first mixture.
- Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake at 350 °F for 40 minutes.
- Yield: one 9-inch pie for 6 servings.