Ensaymada or ensaimada is a favorite and popular Filipino fluffy bread coated with margarine and butter. Usually the shape is round and resembles a bloated pancake. But some are shaped like large muffins. They are many varieties of ensaymada nowadays especially the commercial ones sold in big bakeshops. Some are loaded with grated cheese and coated with butter, some has filling inside and some have different flavors like ube. But the original ensaymada with it’s plain sugar and margarine coating will always be the favorite.
How to Make Ensaymada
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 4 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (for the sponge yeast)
- 1/8 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup fresh milk or evaporated milk
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (for the dough)
- Melted butter for brushing grated cheese
How to make ensaimada:
- Dissolve the sugar in the warm water. Add the yeast and let stand until softened
- Add 1 cup flour gradually until well blended. Cover bowl with a damp cloth and set aside in warm place for 30 minutes. (This is the sponge yeast).
- Meanwhile, cream butter and sugar thoroughly; add salt and egg yolks, beating well after each addition. Then add milk and stir.
- Add 4 cups all-purpose flour gradually, blending well. Add this mixture to the sponge yeast. Mix well until dough is formed.
- Knead the dough until texture becomes fine.
- Put dough in slightly greased bowl and cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place for 2 hours.
- Punch down. Divide dough into desired size of rolls. Sprinkle with flour to avoid sticking to the surface. Roll out thinly into a rectangle.
- Spread dough surface with melted butter and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Roll as in jelly roll, starting from the lower left hand corner creating a long, thin log then shape it into a coil (spiral) with the end tucked under.
- Place in greased ensaimada molds. Let rise for 2 hours.
- Bake in preheated oven at 400 °F for from 10 to 15 minutes.
- After taking out from oven, brush with butter and sprinkle with grated cheese and sugar.
- Yield: 2 dozens.