This is a vegetarian pancake made from eggplant, egg, flour and seasonings. This is similar to an eggplant omelet where you can also serve it as a viand or an appetizer. Eggplants are good source of fiber, vitamins and minerals and it also promotes good health. Since you are using olive oil to cook this recipe, then it is even healthier.
- 1/2 kilo eggplant
- 10 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg beaten
- Salt and pepper
How to make Eggplant Pancakes
- Preheat oven to 400 °F. Pierce eggplant all over with fork. Put 2 tablespoons oil on cookie sheet. Add eggplant and turn to coat.
- Bake until very tender, turning once, about 55 minutes. Cut in half lengthwise and let cool.
- With a spoon, scrape flesh from eggplant into sieve. Drain 1 hour, pressing occasionally on eggplant with spoon.
- Transfer to bowl. Mash with fork. In a small, heavy skillet over low fire, heat 1 tablespoon oil.
- Saute onion and garlic until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add to eggplant. Mix in flour, then egg. Season with salt and pepper. (This maybe done 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill until ready to cook.)
- Heat a tablespoon oil in large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Drop eggplant mixture, about 2 tablespoons for each pancake, spacing evenly onto hot skillet.
- Cook until golden about 5 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining eggplant mixture.