Sweetened Nata de Coco
Fresh nata de coco can be bought in wet market and you can also make your own but you need the nata starter which is not easy to find. It is also not easy to make nata de coco. Fresh nata de coco is sour because of the fermentation involved in making it. You have to preserve it by cooking it on sugar syrup like the recipe I have here.
1 kilo diced nata de coco (raw)
3 cups white sugar
3 cups water
How to make sweetened nata de coco:
- Cover nata with water and boil 10 minutes.
- Repeat 3 times and rinse every time. Boil sugar and water until syrupy.
- Put in nata and cook 10 minutes. Let stand overnight.
- Next day, boil again in its syrup, reduce heat and continue cooking until syrup is absorbed by nata.
- Make another syrup ( 1 part sugar to 1 part water ). Cook nata in 2nd syrup 10 minutes.
- If you are going to preserve this, pack nata in sterilized bottle, then pour hot syrup ( 2nd syrup ) and seal tightly.
Cool Culinary Tips – Nata de Coco To remove sour taste and smell of nata, boil or rinse with water several times.