Do you want to be a little creative and make a meatless lumpia or springroll made from green papaya, tofu and potatoes? Most of the fresh lumpia is made from ubod, Baguio beans, bean sprouts or chayote. Try this fresh lumpiang papaya and I’m sure you’ll love it.
To cook papaya lumpia; Saute garlic in oil; add onion, tokwa. SautÃ© until done. Stir in the stock. Add papaya and sweet potato and cook until tender. Wrap in lumpia wrapper just before serving and serve with sauce. To see the complete recipe with lists of ingredients in exact measurements, continue reading.
How to Make Fresh Papaya Lumpia
- 3 cups green papaya shredded
- 2 tablespoons onions sliced
- 1/2 cup fried tokwa tofu, sliced to small pieces
- 1/4 cup sweet potato sliced thinly
- 12 lumpia wrappers
- 2 segments garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup sauce
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup stock vegetable broth or plain water
Lumpia sauce ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
How to cook Papaya Lumpia:
- Saute garlic in oil; add onion, tokwa. Saute until done. Stir in the stock.
- Add papaya and sweet potato and cook until tender.
- Wrap in lumpia wrapper just before serving and serve with sauce.
- Yield: 8 servings.
How to make lumpia sauce:
- Mix all ingredients and boil until thick, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.