A rich hollandaise sauce for your favorite poached eggs, broiled bacon, and muffins or bread. Made with very simple ingredients like butter, egg yolks, lemon juice and salt.
1-1/2 cup butter
6 egg yolk
1/4 cup lemon juice
dash of salt
How to make Hollandaise Sauce
- Cut butter into 6 equal parts. Place egg yolks on top of a double boiler over hot but not boiling water; add lemon juice and salt; beat slightly with a wire whisk.
- Beat in 1/6 of the butter at a time. (If sauce should curdle add 1 ice cube and stir until smooth again; remove ice cube unless melted.)
- If sauce should become too thick, stir in 1 tbsp. hot water at a time, until the desired consistency is reached.
- Hollandaise sauce may be made ahead and kept warm for about an hour; to do so place sauce in a wide mouth vacuum bottle or hold over hot water (but not over heat) or in a heavy sauce dish or a warming tray.
- Serve with poached eggs, broiled bacon, and muffins or bread. Good for 8 persons.