This nice recipe I got is an authentic native suman recipe from Cagayan Region II. Usually suman is wrapped in banana leaves. But this kind of suman or sinabalo is cooked inside the fresh bamboo tubes by roasting it over live charcoals. Below is the recipe and just follow the link to see the recipe:
How to Make Sinabalo (Suman)
- 2 cups malagkit rice glutinous rice
- 1 1/4 cups thick coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 pieces green bamboo tube fresh
- Banana leaves wilted
How to make sinabalo or suman:
- Soak malagkit rice overnight. Wash and drain.
- Add coconut milk and salt and cook until malagkit is half done, stirring the mixture to avoid sticking at the bottom of the container.
- Divide the mixture into two and wrap each portion in banana leaves.
- Insert inside a freshly cut bamboo tube.
- Broil bamboo tube over hot charcoal, rotating it slowly until bamboo tube gets burned.
- Makes eight servings.