This puto is not the usual white tender muffin that is usually steamed. I’m not sure why it is called puto caramba because this is a deep fried puto made from flour, shrimp, pinipig and so forth. It’s more like an okoy than a puto because the batter is scooped and fried similar to making okoy.
How to Make Puto Caramba
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup small shrimp
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup pinipig
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pc onion sliced very thinly
- 1 cup squash sliced into thin strips
- oil for deep-frying
Dipping sauce ingredients:
- salt and pepper
How to make puto caramba:
- Mix flour, cornstarch and water to make batter.
- Add remaining ingredients except oil. Mix well. Heat oil in a skillet.
- Deep-fry puto caramba by scooping round spoonfuls of batter mixture into skillet.
- Cook until golden brown and crispy. Serve with vinegar, garlic, pepper and salt dip.