Kutsinta or cuchinta is a native delicacy or kakanin. Atchuete ot annatto cuchinta derives it name because the red coloring comes from the annatto seeds. But this is a traditional way of coloring the cuchinta. Food coloring is easier and cheaper so it is used specially on those made for selling.
How to Make Atchuete Kutsinta (Annatto Cuchinta)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups white sugar
- 7 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lye lihia
- 1 tablespoon atchuete annatto seeds
How to make Atchuete Kutsinta:
- Soak atchuete in 1/3 cup water to extract color.
- Mix flour, sugar, lye and the rest of water together. Stir until smooth.
- Blend atchuete extract. Fill muffin cups 1/3 full.
- Steam for from 15 to 20 minutes or until firm.
- Let it cool and remove from molds. Serve with grated coconut.
- Yield: 8 dozens.