A simple method on how to preserve kondol or white melon gourd by cooking it with sugar and water. Aside from making candied kondol, preserving it by sugar syrup is another way and it is also a good and tasty dessert.
1 Mature Kundol or Kondol (white melon gourd)
2 parts sugar and 1 part water for sugar syrup
(for every 2 cups sugar use 1 part water)
How to make kundol preserve:
- Select mature but firm kondol. Peel thinly and cut into desired size and shape.
- Soak in lime water (one tablespoonful lime to one liter water) overnight.
- Wash thoroughly and blanch in boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Wash in cold water and drain.
- Cook in syrup made up of two parts sugar to one part water for 30 minutes and let stand overnight.
- Boil syrup again until thick.
- Drain and pack kondol in 12-ounces preserving jars. Fill with syrup.
- Half-seal and sterilize jars for 25 minutes in boiling water. Seal completely.