Usually yemas are made from condensed milk only. This time it has egg yolks and coated with caramel made from dissolved sugar. So again here is the recipe!
How to Make Yema Balls (Egg Candies)
- 1 can 14 oz. condensed milk
- 10 egg yolk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1/2 tsp.
- vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. corn syrup
- 3 cup water
How to make Yema Balls:
- Beat egg yolks until blended. Combine yolks with condensed milk and vanilla extract in a heavy pot over low heat.
- Cook stirring until thick enough to shape into balls.
- This will take about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Shape into marble-sized balls with buttered hand's. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, water, and corn syrup for caramel in a thick saucepan placed over medium heat and tip pan from side to side until sugar melts into light brown syrup (about 12-15 minutes.)
- Test by dripping syrup into a cup of cold water - it should form into a ball if caramel has reach the right consistency.
- Remove from heat Dip each ball into the syrup.
- Using 2 teaspoons lift the ball from syrup removing it from teaspoon to teaspoon to let excess syrup drop off .
- Place on greased cookie sheet. Quickly work on the rest before caramel hardens.
- Makes about 85 balls.