A healthy cookie recipe made from mashed carrots. Perfect for kids who don’t want to eat their veggies and hates carrots. An added attraction and taste is the orange butter icing on top. This is a great simple to make cookie recipe that you can bake anytime and on any occasion.
Carrot Cookies with Orange Icing
- 2/3 cup shortening or margarine
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cooked and mashed carrots
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- For the Icing
- 1/4 cup hot orange juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Cream shortening with sugar. Blend in egg.
- Stir in carrots. Sift together flour, salt and baking powder; add to creamed mixture.
- Add vanilla. Drop by teaspoonfuls on greased baking sheet. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes. Mix ingredients for icing. Ice cookies while warm. Yields 3 dozen cookies.
Leave a Reply