Standard Pastry For Two-Crust Pie Recipe. This is great for many kinds of pies either meat pies or fruit pies that needed to enclose the filling inside the pastry shell.
2 cups sifted flour
2/3 cup vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon salt
5-6 tablespoon ice water
How to make Standard Pastry For Two-Crust Pie
- Sift flour and salt together. Cut in shortening with pastry blender until mixture is size of small peas.
- Toss and stir mixture with a fork while adding ice water gradually.
- Form into a ball; divide in half and flatten out half on floured board.
- Roll to a circle about 1-1/2 inches larger than top of an 8- or 9-inch pie pan.
- Fit loosely into pan. Trim off surplus with knife. Fill with desired filling.
- Roll out remaining dough into an 8- or 9-inch circle.
- Make slits for escape of steam. Fit over filling: trim to a half inch beyond pan.
- Fold top crust under bottom crust to seal edge: flute edge.
- Yield: pastry for 8- to 9-inch double crust pie.