This bread recipe consists of molasses and quick cooking rolled oats. Great for those who are looking for healthy bread. There are also people who don’t like eating oatmeal when cooked as porriage but mixing it on bread dough makes it more acceptable.
How to Make Oatmeal Bread
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 6 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2 slightly beaten eggs
- 1/2 cup light molasses
- 1/3 cup shortening
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water.
- In a large bowl, combine the 1-1/2 cups boiling water, the rolled oats, molasses , shortening and salt, cool to lukewarm.
- Stir in 2 cups of the flour. Add eggs and beat well.
- Add remaining flour, 2 cups at a time, mixing vigorously after each addition, to make a moderately stiff dough. Beat vigorously till smooth (about 10 minutes).
- Grease top lightly. Cover tightly. Place in refrigerator at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Turn out on well floured surface: shape in 2 loaves. Place in greased loaf pans.
- Cover; let rise in warm place till double in size (about 2 hours).
- Bake in moderate oven (375 °F) for about 40 minutes.
- If crust browns too quickly, cover with foil for last half of baking time.
- Yield: 2 loaves.