If cheese sticks becomes too common at parties and functions, you can try this cheese straw recipe. It taste just as good or even better and are healthier because its baked, not fried. Making cheese straws is just like baking cookies because you need to mix all the ingredients until it turns into a smooth paste-like consistency. Then put it in a pastry bag and pipe it to form a 4 inch long straw on a cookie sheet. Then bake it until golden brown.
How to Make Cheese Straws
- 1/2 cup 115 grams butter
- 2 cups 280 grams all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 450 grams sharp cheddar cheese or Edam grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt if cheese is too salty, use 1/4 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup water
How to make Cheese Straws:
- Preheat oven to 400 °F. Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add flour, cayenne, cheese, salt and baking powder.
- Mix well until well combined and put the water while mixing. Put mixture into pastry bag with 1/4 inch round tube.
- Pipe 4-inch long straws 1/2 inch a part onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 6 minutes or until golden brown.