There is a new addition on the Appetizers and Snacks category. This is an unusual pretzel because we are used to those crisp and thin. Try having this soft pretzels for a change.
How to Make Soft Pretzels
Recipe type: Appetizer
Serves: 12 pcs
- ¼ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup lukewarm water (110°F)
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 2½ to 2¾ cups (350 - 385 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 6 cups boiling water with
- 6 tablespoons baking soda
- Sea salt or salt crystals for topping
How to make Soft Pretzels:
- In a medium mixing bowl, dissolve ¼ teaspoon sugar in lukewarm water.
- Sprinkle in yeast and stir once. Let stand until yeast starts to bubble and dissolve.
- Add 1 and ½ cups of the flour, oil and sugar. Beat about 3 minutes with electric mixer until smooth.
- Turn off mixer and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Restart mixer at low speed. Gradually add another 1 cup of the flour to form a soft dough.
- Continue adding flour a little at a time until dough forms a medium-firm ball.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface. Knead it with your hands until dough no longer feels sticky.
- Divide dough into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a rope and twist into a figure eight or pretzel shape.
- Place on greased cookie sheet and let rise until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 375 °F. With a slotted spoon, dip pretzels one at a time in boiling water with baking soda, 30 seconds on each side.
- Arrange pretzels in heavily greased cookie sheet. sprinkle with salt crystals and bake until golden brown about 10 minutes.
- Use cheese whiz, salsa or any of your favorite dip for dipping sauce.