A kare-kare recipe usually have ox tripe or pork legs as the main ingredients. But this vegetarian kare-kare only used gluten as substitute for the meat. You can also use vegemeat instead of gluten if you have gluten intolerance.
How to Cook Vegetarian Kare-Kare with Gluten
- 1 cup gluten cubes slightly fried (or vegemeat)
- 1 cup radish sliced
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup squash sliced
- 1/4 cup ground toasted rice
- 1/2 cup onions sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 cup string beans sliced
- 1 stalk native pechay sliced
- 1 cup eggplants sliced
- 1 small banana blossom sliced
- Salt to taste
How to cook Vegetarian Kare-Kare with Gluten:
- Saute garlic, onions and gluten.
- Pour enough water to cover gluten and add peanut butter and ground rice to thicken.
- Add atchuete for coloring and season with salt.
- Fry all the vegetables, one after the other.
- Place on top of the cooked gluten. Yield: 4 to 6 servings.