Vegetable Fricassee is simmered fried gluten with vegetables then poured with cheesy sauce. This is a vegetarian version where you use gluten or vegemeat instead of chicken fillet. Gluten can be bought or you can make it yourself. I also have a recipe on how to make gluten where all you have to do is buy gluten flour and mix it with water to make a gluten dough.
How to Make Vegetable Fricassee
- 1 kilo gluten or vegemeat cut into serving pieces
- 3 teaspoons flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 5 small carrots cut into chunks
- 2 pieces of onions quartered
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Pinch of salt
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Dash of cayenne
How to cook Vegetable Fricassee:
- Coat the gluten pieces with flour and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Brown slowly in a heavy skillet.
- Pour in broth and add parsley, then add carrots and onions.
- Cover and allow to simmer over slow heat until gluten and vegetables are done.
- Arrange in a serving dab and keep warm. Reserve stock for sauce.
- Mix flour and 1/3 cup of the milk to a smooth paste.
- Add to stock, stirring constantly.
- Gradually, add remaining milk and bring to a boil, stirring until sauce boils and thickens.
- Add seasonings and cheese. Continue cooking until cheese has melted.
- Pour over gluten and vegetables and sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 12 servings.