Another version of meatless spaghetti using vegemeat and lots of grated cheese. This is definitely a healthy recipe because it contains no meat and a very simple recipe with few ingredients. Vegemeat is only available in vegetarian stores and you can seldom find it in the supermarkets.
How to Cook Vegemeat Spaghetti
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons kalamansi zest
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onions
- 6 kalamansi halves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons kalamansi juice
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped kinchay celery
- 1 box 8 ounces spaghetti
- 4 cups vegemeat sliced and lightly fried
How to cook Vegemeat Spaghetti:
- Heat 3 tablespoons butter in a pan. Saute onion and garlic until tender.
- Add kalamansi juice, kinchay, kalamansi peel, pepper, bay leaf and 2 cups water; simmer until liquid is reduced to about 1 cup.
- Remove bay leaf. Stir in vegemeat and heat thoroughly.
- Add remaining butter; stir until melted.
- Cook spaghetti in boiling salted water until tender yet firm, about 6 to 10 minutes; drain.
- Pour sauce over spaghetti, sprinkle with cheese and serve with kalamansi halves or lemon wedges.
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings.