This is a simple vegetable dish made from radish or labanos. This is a dish called kilawin labanos which is a cooked vegetable dish not a pickled radish. Usually, when a dish is called kilawin, it is not cooked but only marinated in vinegar or lime like a ceviche. I’m not sure also why it is called kilawin maybe because it is cooked in vinegar like a pickle.
How to cook Kilawin Labanos (Pickled Raddish)
- 1 kilo raddish
- 200 grams vegemeat cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup miso
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 to 3 to matoes sliced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 Tbsp. patis or fish sauce
- 1 tsp. peppercorns pounded coarsely
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. MSG
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
How to make kilawin labanos:
- Peel radish, scrape into thin slices then set aside.
- Boil vegemeat in 1/2 cup water till tender then set aside. (you can use fried tofu)
- Saute garlic. When brown, add onion and tomatoes. Stir for a while then add vegemeat and miso.
- Saute for 2 minutes and season with patis. Add 1/4 cup water and cover. Let boil for 2 minutes and add radish.
- Sprinkle with pepper and MSG then cover. When radish is half cooked, add vinegar.
- Let boil for 3 minutes before stirring. Continue cooking till radish is done.