Gluten from 4 cups flour
1/3 cup tomato juice
5 cups water or potato water
1 tablespoon fat
1 large onion
1 cup chopped celery
How to cook Gluten Steaks:
- Prepare broth by braising chopped onion in fat. Add liquid and celery.
- Bring to a boil and add gluten cut in 1/2-inch slices.
- Cover and let boil slowly for 1 hour, or until nearly all the liquid has evaporated.
- Squeeze out excess liquid. Dip in beaten eggs to which a little water have been added.
- Roll in cracker or bread crumbs and brown lightly on both sides in a small amount of fat.
- The remaining liquid in which the gluten was cooked can be thickened and used as a gravy.
- Approximate yield: 6 servings.