Tupig is a delicacy from Ilocos and Pangasinan made from ground glutinous rice and combined with buco strips, coconut milk, sugar or molasses and sesame seeds. It is then wrapped in banana leaves and cooked over live charcoal grill. This delicacy may not look appetizing specially if you see the burned banana leaves wrapping. But I’m sure you are going to love it when you tasted it.
How to Make Tupig
- 4 pcs mature coconut shredded
- 1 pc young coconut shredded
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 4 cups water
- 1 kilo malagkit flour
- 3/4 cup molasses
- banana leaves wilted
How to make tupig:
- Extract coconut milk from mature coconut by adding 2 cups water and squeezing out gata or coconut milk.
- Strain and set aside. Add remaining ingredients to coconut milk to make the batter. Mix well.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter on wilted banana leaves, roll and seal ends.
- Bake over live charcoal 15 to 20 minutes or until done.
Leave a Reply