The lansungan or a specially made steamer is constructed with two protruding tubes on a kettle like shaped steamer. The tubes are for holding the bamboo tubes filled with the puto bumbong mixture in order for the steam to pass through.
How to Make Puto Bumbong
- 1 kilogram malagkit glutinous rice, mixed with 125 grams ordinary rice
- 1 pc mature coconut shredded
- butter or margarine
- violet food coloring
- banana leaves
- water for steaming the puto bumbong and soaking the rice
How to cook puto bumbong:
- Soak malagkit and ordinary rice mixture in salted water with violet food coloring for 1 hour.
- Let dry overnight by putting inside a flour sack.
- Put something heavy on top to squeeze out water.
- Mixture is ready for cooking the following morning.
- Heat steamer (lansungan) with enough water.
- Put a small amount of rice mixture inside bamboo tubes (bumbong).
- Attached bamboo tubes to lansungan or steamer.
- When steam comes out of bamboo tubes, remove and immediately push out puto bumbong.
- Top with shredded coconut and sugar before serving.