1 medium size squash
1 can evaporated milk
4 cups sugar
How to make Squash Pastillas
- Peel the squash and remove the seeds.
- Boil it in enough water until it is just soft.
- Mash it well. Put the milk and sugar in a pan.
- Add the squash to the mixture. Cook over a moderate flame.
- Stir the mixture constantly.
- When it is about to harden, pour mixture onto a square or rectangular baking pan.
- Let it cool a little, then cut unto small squares.
- Wrap these in different colors of papel de hapon (japanese paper).
- (Note: I tested this recipe and it is better to steam or microwave the squash so it will have no water unlike boiling it. Boiling the squash will take a long time to evaporate the water from the pastillas.)
COOKING AND HEALTH TIPS: Eat Dark Green and Orange Veggies! – Beta-carotene, a form of Vitamin A found in dark green and orange vegetables, is a good antidote for lung cancer.