This is a unique pizza because it’s a vegetarian pizza pie for people who wants to abstain from meat. Perfect for vegetarians or religious observation like the Lenten season for Catholics.
How to Make Vegetarian Pizza Pie
- 1 medium size onion chopped finely
- 1/2 small green pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup ground gluten
For the Topping:
- 3/4 cup cheese grated
- 12 pieces of sliced cheese
- 4 button mushrooms sliced finely
For the Pizza Filling:
- 1 can 8 ounce tomato sauce
- 1 small onion chopped finely
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Dash of ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
For the Crust:
- 6 Tbsp. lukewarm water
- 3/4 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp vegetable shortening
How to make Vegetarian Pizza Pie
- SautÃ© onions, ground gluten and green pepper. Set aside.
- Mix the filling ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- Place the flour on the working board, add shortening and mix well with hands.
- Add the liquid mixture little by little to the flour mixture.
- Knead and roll for from 5 to 10 minutes.
- Flatten dough with a rolling pin, then transfer on your pizza pan.Bake for 7 minutes at 425 °F. Then put out pan and arrange fillings and then the toppings on the half baked crust.
- Return to oven and continue baking for 12 minutes.