A popular Filipino sponge cake similar to a chiffon cake. Actually mamon is called French sponge cake and it is baked in muffin pans to create mini sponge cakes. To describe these cakes, they are sweet, soft and fluffy. Perfect for snacks if you are thinking of making delicious mini cakes.
Mamon (French Sponge Cake)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 pcs eggs separate yolk from white
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- Sift flour and baking powder in bowl; set aside.
- In a another large bowl, beat egg white and cream of tartar until meringue-like but not stiff.
- Gradually add sugar while beating. Add vanilla and vegetable oil.
- Add egg yolks one at a time and continue beating.
- Add cake flour and baking powder and continue mixing.
- Grease muffin pans and pour mixture about 2/3 full.
- Bake in 350°F preheated oven 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- It's done if toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.