Brazo de la Reina is similar to brazo de mercedes cake roll made from egg white and egg yolk on the center but it is richer because of the addition of condense milk and butter. Brazo de mercedes only have basic ingredients like eggs, sugar and cream of tartar.
How to Make Brazo de la Reina
For the Fillings:
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the Meringue:
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. orange extract
How to make Brazo de la Reina:
- Fillings: Combine egg yolks and condensed milk in a double boiler.
- Cook until thick or of spreading consistency, stirring constantly.
- Add the butter and vanilla; blend well and cool.
- Meringue: Preheat oven to 300 °F.
- Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar till soft peaks are formed.
- Add sugar gradually and continue beating until stiff but not dry. Add orange extract.
- Spread meringue on a heavily greased and wax-lined jelly roll pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until light brown.
- Turn onto a well-buttered piece of waxed paper and immediately spread filling.
- Roll as for jelly roll. Good for 6 to 8 persons.